So today is Mother’s day and if you are lucky enough to still have your mother with you then I hope you either were with her today or at least spoke to her over the phone or internet to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day!
My mother is my hero. She is by far one of the smartest and most accomplished woman I know. Not just in my eyes but others as well. She has been, a nursing student, an undergrad that paid her way through university through performing nursing duties, began two Nursing Schools, a professor at #MarshallUniversity has a PhD from #OhioStateUniversity in Adult Education and built the Allied Health and Nursing Program up from pretty much nothing to grow it and allow it to become what it is today at Metropolitan Community College in Omaha, NE @MCCNEB. Now my mother is a very humble woman and would downplay her accomplishments but those who know her would agree with all the above and more. So what have I done for my Mother lately? I heard a statement today that said that Mothers only want happiness and health for their children and that when they are a mother the rest of their lives is wrapped up in their children’s happiness or lack there of. So what have you done lately for your Mother.
Currently I am attempting to grow my business and improve my life both personally and in business so I can give my mother the peace of mind that I will be financially and mentally healthy. (All the heartaches I have put her through as a teen and then young adult, I owe her that much.) So that is why I am revisiting a 30 day plan that I created in 2011and also implementing the strategies in 4 Hour Work Week and Sleeping Your Way To The Top In Business
I am sharing what I learn here on my blog. In order to get ready to begin implementing these strategies there is a homework assignment from 4 Hour Work Week from Chapter 3: “Dodging Bullets” Fear-Setting and Escaping Paralysis
- Define your nightmare, the absolute worst that could happen if you did what you were considering?. (This is what you are considering doing outside of your current position or job)
- What steps could you take to repair the damage or get things back on the upswing, even if temporarily?
- What are the outcomes or benefits, both temporary and permanent, of more probable scenarios? (These are positive outcomes or benefits)
- If you were fired from your job today, what would you to to get things under financial control?
- What are you putting off out of fear?
- What is it costing you-financially, emotionally, and physically-to postpone action?
- What are you waiting for?
A little insight from Ben Angel-
- a relationship with you and/ or your business (on their terms)
- to know they can call a real person who knows the answer when they have a query – without being put on hold for thirty minutes & transferred through to half a dozen people who they struggle to communicate with;
- to connect with personality types within your organization that make them feel safe by virtue of being just like them; (We will discuss Thinking Preferences later from a Whole Brain Perspective- not a Ben Angel concept but similar to personality types).
- to feel, ‘I’ll do business with that guy because I trust him';
- to do business with people recommended to them through their trusted personal network;
- to avoid at all costs the cowboy service providers they read about on Twitter last week…
We begin by doing the homework assignment and considering what your clients really want. So what have you done for your Mother lately? I am hoping that this helps you do something that makes your mother proud, but more importantly makes you proud of yourself and helps others around you.
Les Adkins is the CEO of Orange SMS Consulting and an International Social Business Strategist, speaker, consultant and author. Bringing strategy and whole brain thinking to creative campaigns and social media through his work. Please follow @mysylbert and connect on LinkedIn Join us on FB and Google+ as well.